By Mason McFee
Student Writer

womens lacrosse

photo courtesy of GoMessiah.com

The bitter temperature was not an obstacle for the Messiah women’s lacrosse team as they broke in their new turf field Wednesday with a 16-1 win over the University of Scranton. The game was the first of the 2015 season, and for senior midfielder Marybeth Bindel, the opener was one of many last firsts.

“While it is sad this is my last first game of the season, I am excited to begin this season with a strong start,” Bindel said. “We have been working hard during our non-traditional season with the mentality of going further than any other Messiah women’s lacrosse team has gone.  And I believe we have the ability to do so.” With the help of her teammates, Bindel certainly reflected this mentality on the field today.

When asked about what it is like to be a part of this team over the years, Bindle responded, “I feel so incredibly blessed to be a part of this program.  I have 29 great friends who are my teammates.  This team is so unique compared to previous teams that I have been a part of.  I love that this team genuinely cares about each other and are constantly finding ways to encourage and push each other on and off the field.  It’s nice to be a part of a team that’s playing for a greater purpose.”

Senior defender Molly Devilbiss wholeheartedly agreed: “We are so excited that games days are finally here and we are looking forward to strong start against some great opponents. Being a part of this team is such an incredible gift and I cannot wait to step onto the field with my 28 teammates by my side. This program is like a family, we support, love, and challenge one another to be the best and I am so thankful to have one more season to learn, to grow, and to be a part of something so incredible.”

While this may be the seniors’ last first win, as both the weather and their season heat up, these women will continue to build each other up—on the field and off—helping each other grow in faith along the way.

The Falcons start their season 1-0 and now look forward to facing Gettysburg College next Saturday at 1:00 pm. Check out the Athletic Department’s highlight reel: