Fashion Column: Sweater Weather

Ryan Lago goes for a classic look, incorporating a sweater without layering. Ryan Lago goes for a classic look, incorporating a sweater without layering.
Kelly Choi adds a vest to go along with her sweater. Kelly Choi adds a vest to go along with her sweater.
Jonathan Wolf shows his use of layering while wearing a warm sweater on a chilly fall day. Jonathan Wolf shows his use of layering while wearing a warm sweater on a chilly fall day.

By Bree Whitelock
Opinions Editor

As winter continues to creep in and the temperatures drop, students are beginning to bundle up for the cold winter that lies ahead. In an effort to still show off their fashion trends without wearing a jacket, many students have started to wear sweaters: a perfect item for the chillier weather.

Sweaters offer students an alternative option to always wearing the same jacket to and from classes and activities while going on around campus. The size variations of sweaters allow fashionistas and fashionistos alike to either layer under or over for added warmth and expressiveness, as shown through Messiah students’ outfit choices.

Junior Jonathan Wolf was caught wearing a slightly oversized printed sweater, allowing him the opportunity to implement layering. His button down shirt peeks out from beneath his sweater, at the collar and sleeves, providing an added appeal to the ensemble. His plum colored pants tie in the muted hues of the sweater, while his footwear choice does not distract the eye from the outfit but rather compliments it as a whole.

“I try to dress how I feel,” explained Wolf. “If you feel good about how you look during the day, then I think you’ll have a better day.”

Showing her take on sweaters, junior Kelly Choi chose to layer over her sweater with a plush, neutral colored vest. Choi’s navy blue sweater is tighter fitting, giving her the opportunity to layer while still appearing chic.

“I think fashion at Messiah is such an amazing thing because it’s one of very few schools where students are encouraged by their peers to look nice, and where dressing up instead of down is the norm on campus,” expressed Choi in her view of fashion at Messiah. Her jeans give the outfit a comfortable appearance, perfect for a busy school day, while her heels give the outfit the heightened excitement it deserves.

As an added accessory, Choi’s Lilly Pulitzer handbag not only provides her outfit with a pop of color but a fun and unique way to haul around maybe not so fun textbooks.

While paired easily with other fashion pieces, sweaters can also work by themselves to pull outfits together without layering. Junior, Ryan Lago, shows off his sweater in a more modestly fashionable way. Tying neutral colors in together, Lago’s grey sweater paired with olive green pants proves you can never go wrong with a classic look. His footwear accentuates the overall appeal of the outfit, as they appear rustic, while tying in a modern taste.

The season of sweater weather is only beginning. Try out some new spins on sweaters and see how you can use them in a multipurpose fashion.

6 Responses to “Fashion Column: Sweater Weather” Subscribe

1. fort myers airport transportation December 3, 2014 at 10:27 am #

Hi there very nice website!! Man .. Excellent .. Wonderful ..
    I will bookmark your site and take the feeds also?

I am satisfied to seek out numerous helpful info right here within the publish, we need develop more strategies in this regard, thanks
    for sharing. . . . . .

2. designer furnitures in singapore February 5, 2015 at 10:35 am #

Greetings I am so glad I found your blog page, I really found you by mistake, while I
    was searching on Yahoo for something else, Anyhow
    I am here now and would just like to say thank you for
    a fantastic post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also
    love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read through it
    all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read
    much more, Please do keep up the awesome work.

• wordpress themes responsive May 7, 2015 at 6:51 pm #

It’s actually a cool and useful piece of information. I’m satisfied
      that you just shared this useful info with us. Please keep us
      informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

3. limelightteamwear December 19, 2017 at 5:03 am #

While searching on google about fashion realt5ed blogs I found your blogs.Really it is one of the best useful information which I was looking after. Hope it will more helpful to all customers who are looking related to this services.

4. Sofyana Bellaa May 3, 2018 at 5:53 am #

is not sweater now used not only to protect the body from cold is? but to support the appearance to be more interesting

5. Sri Dewi Suryana May 11, 2018 at 8:08 pm #

thank you for the information, the article is very useful