Faculty Spotlight: Meet Dr. David Dixon

By Olivia La Bianca
Student Writer

Professor David Dixon grew up as a missionary kid in Kenya. After finishing high-school there, he moved back to the United States and enrolled in Messiah College. Since then, he’s gotten his doctorate from Indiana University, lived in eight different states, worked in publishing, taught in various schools, and now he’s back at Messiah.

“It’s actually very strange because things are both familiar and different at the same time,” said Dixon. “A lot has changed since I graduated a million years ago, but some things are very similar. I was joking with some of the faculty that on the way out of Convocation Chapel the first day, I had this overwhelming urge to swipe my card to get chapel credit.”

If You Were Not A Professor, What Would You Be?

“That’s hard to answer because that’s something I’ve always wanted to do. In fact, I’ve looked back at some of my standardized tests from junior high where you’re supposed to put down your job aspirations, and I’d put down: College professor.”

Dixon says he has always wanted to get back into the classroom: “I enjoyed college life. I figured if I taught, I would never have to grow up and get away from it.” Being able to teach at Messiah is a plus, because it is somewhere he is always wanted to teach at.

If he couldn’t be a professor, though, Dixon would choose to be a travel writer. “It’s tough work to get, but it’d be great fun!”

What Is Something You Are Passionate About?

Dixon is very outdoorsy: “I really enjoy photography, it’s one of my hobbies. I’m somewhat passionate about bike-riding. Love camping, love hiking.”

What Do You Absolutely Hate?

“Doing something halfway. I tend to do it all the way or not at all. I don’t like just throwing things together. I don’t expect it of myself and I don’t expect it of others.” Students take warning!

Can You Describe Your Teaching Style?

“I like my classes to be very interactive. I like them to have lots of application, even if it’s a more academic kind of class. You know, academics correspond to something in the real world, so I like to think about what that is, and how to use that information in some way.”

What Is Your Favorite Part About Being A Professor?

“I really love seeing the change in students from freshman to senior year and seeing the things they accomplish. You know, having a little piece in that growth. There’s so much that happens in the college years in a young adult’s life, and it’s just exciting to see that happen.”

Do you have a favorite professor that you think everyone should know about? If you have any suggestions for Ice Breaker interviews, submit a request to Olivia at ol2153@messiah.edu for a chance to have their Ice Breaker interview published in The Swinging Bridge.

One Response to “Faculty Spotlight: Meet Dr. David Dixon” Subscribe

1. Alexandre Ber December 7, 2014 at 10:39 pm #

I’ve recently started a site, the info you offer on this website has helped me tremendously. Thanks for all of your time & work.