Amani Benefit Concert: An Interview with Tania Pyatovolenko

GRANTHAM, Pa. – Below is an interview with Messiah student Tania Pyatovolenko, who will be playing Cello in a benefit concert on Sunday, March 9th at 4:00pm in the High Foundation Recital Hall.

Where will the proceeds of this concert go?

A hundred percent of donations will go to health fund for caregivers at New Life Homes in Kenya.

Why is this issue important for you?

One of my professors at Messiah said, “You are lucky to be at this college. There are a lot of people out there who do not have this opportunity, so learn how to make a better world.”

Being a cello performance major, I thought it would be a wonderful example of making performing arts not just a part of entertainment, but also a part of one’s life and one’s future.

Was it difficult to arrange the event?

I was nesting an idea of creating this kind of event long back when I was a high school student. Unfortunately, it is not common in Ukraine to do charity concerts or fundraisers. When I came to Messiah, I found myself in a place where I finally could realize my ideas. Maybe that’s why I love it here so far!

Organization itself took more time than I had, and courage to put everything together. Frankly, I love arranging things, especially when people around are being supportive and give you a chance to expend yourself. It makes it even more exiting and you really want to make the world a better place. The hardest thing was to wake up one morning and say to yourself, “Now I need to act.” But when you start you hardly can stop.

What can students expect to hear at the concert?

It is a concert of classical music. An audience will hear compositions of great composers: Brahms, Halverson, Dvorak and Crumb. The two musicians who I am playing with, Daniel (piano)and Gregory (violin) Glessner, are two of my friends and exceptional musicians. I’m looking forward to sharing the evening with my audience.

Also there will be a short presentation about Amani Beads by Jean Corey and reception following the concert.

How can attendees help the cause?

The attendees would be able to make donation during an intermission and after the concert. We will also be accepting credit cards and Messiah ID’s. There will be Amani Beads sale afterwords as well. If students would not be able to make the concert but still willing to participate in the event, he or she can send a check to Jean Corey, Suite 3017 on the name “Amani Beads.”